Sunday, January 6, 2013

back again to tell the tale... |letter #56|

Dear Readers,


I've been gone for a while. I was actually out experiencing the world and living out my dreams through study abroad.  I have been blessed with the opportunity to travel to 10 different South American, Central American, and Caribbean countries on a 25-day cruise voyage while taking a sociology class on  ship.  I was able to experience other cultures and interact with dozens of people I would probably never have the chance to meet at another time. I was able to see wealth and poverty in the same place and note the various ways of foreign life. I was able to network with those from my neighboring institutions and professionals in my prospective field. I was granted the opportunity to share my own Haitian culture with the eight hundred on the boat through spoken word and dance and receive confirmation of a well articulated attempt to enlighten my fellow shipmates.  I learned of the rituals of Kwanza and performed an appropriate step routine to demonstrate its vibrant energy and hidden movements. I made friends and learned that there was more than what met the eye. I flirted with incoming knowledge, tasted and saw that it was good and could apply it to my life. I ate well balanced meals and actively exercised my body through yoga and zumba classes. I spent my first Christmas and New Year away from my family to gain an experience of a lifetime, one that I hope to hand to my own one day. 

Semester at Sea Enrichment Voyage 2012 has been so good to me. I may not enjoyed every meal or the consistent and sometimes rather violent rocking of the ship on water, but the memories made and lessons learned have been due to this very experience. I spent long nights in heated conversations and calculated card games and danced to the rhythms of the sea. I paid homage to a priceless organization that gained me sisters and brothers who understand the meaning of the boat life. I watched movies I loved and was intellectually stimulated by passionate classroom debates. I spent a lot of money on pieces that would be mine to treasure forever. I learned how to become a better writer and that I still have some issues to address.  I picked up silly behaviors of my peers, a little sister to mentor, and the fact that my best friend truly shares my crazy weird.  I was inspired and inspired, was touched and touched. Julian Bond become my right hand man. Semester at Sea, I am forever thankful to thee. 


Yet, this does not even encompass my experiences in any of the ten countries I visited.  I never did mention Columbia, Peru, or Nicaragua but each country deserves its due assessment in its own separate blog. Thus, begins the chronicles. I look forward to sharing.  

Love, 
Stephanie