Tuesday, November 9, 2010

please just make it stop... |letter #4|

Dear the Me Who Will-Have-It-All-Together,

Please don’t make the same mistakes that I made today.  Seriously, it will save you much stress, frustration, and precious time.  I’m trying to advise you with this letter, but all I can do is be selfish and think about how incredibly annoyed and exhausted I am.  I’m agitated.  I’ve had the wrong attitude about everything that was going right today.  My lack of sleep has been the death of me and the absence of food usually fueling my blood leaves me lifeless.  I went to two career leadership meetings but I was as tired as pregnant lady after birth.  Perhaps you’ve experienced that already; well then you know how I feel.  It was a complete out-of-body experience as I sat there in front of the room staring at the tall bulky man with that flashy white smile tell me for two hours the million and one contradictory things I should be doing to land my perfect job.  “Be happy, but not too happy; be serious but not too serious! Don’t slouch, but don’t sit so stiff either!”  My mind ran all different directions. Write down this, no, scratch it out.  Write down that, wait, erase it and put this instead.  The message of success could not have been more enigmatic.

In Loving Memory

The second meeting could not have been more desperately self-draining to my mind.  Not only did I not have the privilege of listening to an actual live speaker and was forced to direct my unreliable  attention to a random man speaking on an internet clip, but it lasted a full hour of my time.  Yes, I could have been sleeping then, or maybe stuffing myself with some energy in the form of a Subway sandwich or McDonald’s fries.  Actually, scratch out the McDonald’s fries, I chose to cut back on that little insatiable addiction of mine.  It’s unhealthy, of course.  Yet even unhealthier was that the crowded room was set up for the immediate slumber of the members present.  How dare they turn off the all the bright lights and force us to watch, in complete undisturbed darkness, a boring football player tell me things about life I learned in 6th grade already?  Yes, sir, I know how to set goals.  Oh yes, I know exactly how to keep myself accountable.  Did I not do the same thing when I set the goal of making all A’s in middle school and accomplished it by keeping track of my assignments and studying to the best of my ability for every test?  Yes, I still do it now, which is how I ended up in this national honor society meeting in the first place.
 
Remembrance

I’m sorry.  I know I went off this rant just now but I just wanted to let it all out.  I know you are probably looking at this really crazy because trust me, I already know you have your life all together, unlike me.  It’s okay, I will eventually get there.  Anyway, before I get distracted again, take it from me and get enough sleep each night and nutritious food and water each day.  Also, don’t forget to take advantage of every opportunity available, even though you may not feel one hundred percent yourself at the time it is given to you.  What I’m really trying to say is this: persist even when you don’t feel like it.  Trust me, if I had not decided to do just this, you wouldn’t be reading this right now.


Love, 
Stephanie


 (Courtesy of seanmcgrath)