Monday, July 1, 2013

"from spelmanites to you"... |letter #69|

Dear Sisters,


When I was a young girl, beautifully naive and eager to learn, I had always wished for an older sister to help guide my path. I would look up to her. I would learn from her errors. She would tell me everything I needed to know. I imagined she would discover a path and would run back to me to share with me the best ones. I wanted desperately a sister to share my deepest secrets with and one I would accept me for all that I am. Not only did I want a role model, I wanted a friend. 

God never gave me a sister through blood. He choose a better path for me instead. In 1881, he created Spelman College, an institution where all other black women like myself would be sent to become a part of a divine sisterhood. As a Spelman alumna today, I walked out with more sisters than I could count. I found women to look up to, to laugh with, to cry with, to encourage, to dance with, and to grow with. I found a sister in every shape and size. God knew one sister would not be enough for me. I needed one for every occasion. Spelman College was one of the best decisions I've made. It choose me and taught me to change the world. 



My desire to help new incoming Spelmanites stems from that sisterless place that I wanted filled when I walked through the gates. I had so many questions but I hadn't had anyone yet to walk with yet. They came through time and experience. Today, I want to give incoming students a resource I never had. I want to give them a helping hand to guide them as Spelman College becomes their home. Through the voices of the Spelman family and myself, I create this book to speak directly to them. I create this book in the efforts to give them sisters who willingly seek their success. I create this book to better them in the areas we had to learn the harder way. 

"From Spelmanites to You" only needs your support. This is a project rooted in hard work, sleepless nights, and uplifting words that is ready to reap what is has sowed. Holding us back today is our goal. Donate today to be the reason why our younger Spelman sisters thank us in advance. Donate today and become a part of this legacy. 


Love, 
Stephanie